The staircases of the King’s private apartments (le Petit appartement du roi) have a complicated history.
The original staircase was the famous Ambassador’s Staircase. It was so grand that Louis XIV used to receive ambassador’s and foreign dignitaries on it. Later, in the reign of Louis XV, it was also the venue for Mme de Pompadour’s theatre, which was made of wood and could be assembled and dis-assembled on demand.
In 1754, wishing to create a suite of rooms for his daughter Mme Adélaïde, Louis ordered this grand staircase to be demolished.